Minutes of the Transit Advisory Committee
Monday, May 16, 2011
City Council Chambers
Members Present: Chair Glenn Siders, Vice-Chair Joshua Sabin, Brenda Conry, James Jetter, Adam McLaughlin, Jim Sayre, Councilor Brian Wayson, Councilor Coleen Chipman Members Absent: None
1. Call to Order. Glenn Siders called the meeting to order at 6:30, noting that all members
were in attendance.
2. Staff led a discussion of the survey results and possible indications from the data. Consensus was reached on the following:
— The focus of continuing discussions should be fixed-route service, with the understanding that transit-dependent users are part of the mix and will be served by both fixed-route and dial-responsive (SEATS) systems.
— The focus of the service should be commuter destinations outside of North Liberty, as identified in the survey results. Additional routes/times are needed.
— Increasing fares to help pay for service increases is still on the table, but may not be technically practical.
— Service area distance should be considered to be 3 blocks. Information to be gathered and provided by staff at the next meeting includes:
* Summary of destinations cited in the survey responses.
* Estimation of cost for expanding the current route to a loop within North Liberty.
* Map showing 3-block service area for current route and for a potential loop route, and showing higher density housing areas in North Liberty.
* Rough idea of hourly costs for private providers.
* Cost of fixed-route transit service – percent of total budget and per capita.
Discussions are to continue at the next meeting.
3. Review and Approve Minutes. James Jetter moved to approve the minutes of the March 11 meeting. The motion was seconded by Joshua Sabin and approved unanimously.
The meeting adjourned by unanimous consent at about 7:45.