North Liberty Parks & Recreation Committee Meeting
Thursday, September 4, 2014
Board Members Present: Dan Skemp, Jami Maxson, Jef Farland, Kerry Fitzpatrick, and Scott Stahmer
Others Present: Shelly Simpson, Brian Motley, Guy Goldsmith, and Tim Hamer
Meeting called to order: 7:00 pm
- Approve minutes: Minutes from August 7 approved.
- Building and Grounds Report: Time spent on landscape work, mowing and trimming, seeding at Centennial Park, Liberty Centre Pond, and West Lakes. Liberty Centre Pond stonework washed away with April 2013 flooding and FEMA is paying for Country Landscapes to repair this. Staff picked up concrete bases from ‘Herky on Parade’ statues to use for benches. West Lakes has an overgrowth of willow; will partner with area residents to remove.
- Fall Season: Busy time of year. Sports leagues resume. North Central Junior High uses facility for girls’ volleyball and boys’ basketball. Indoor use picks back up.
- Upcoming Events:
- Fly fishing with TAKO (Take A Kid Outdoors): Sept 6
- Doggie Plunge: Sept 7
- Most fall programs begin: Week of Sept 8
- Library Movie Night & Fireworks: Sept 12
- Parents Night Out: Sept 13
- Chamber Fun Run: Sept 21
- New Issues: Approval obtained for Rec Center to hire full-time evening custodian; back door at Rec Center was broken and is being repaired; performed yearly refinishing of gym floors; replaced flooring in Room C; working on ceiling fans in cardio area; purchasing elliptical machine, treadmill, and Smith machine. For Parks Dept.: Penn Elementary is using Penn Meadows Park for recess due to construction.
- Recreation Monthly Report: Reviewed reports presented, including hard copy of expenditures report.
- Other Issues: Rec Center hand rails are back, and installed properly. Still working on temperature and humidity issues in pool area. Boar members park tour – plan to do before next meeting.
- Next Meeting Thursday October 2, 2014 at 7:00PM Location: City Council Chambers at 1 Quail Creek Circle
- Adjourned at 7:48 pm
Minutes submitted by Jami Maxson