North Liberty Parks & Recreation Committee Meeting
Thursday, October 2, 2014
Board Members Present: Dan Skemp, Bonnie Pitz, Jef Farland, and Kerry Fitzpatrick
Others Present: Brian Motley, Guy Goldsmith, and Tim Hamer
Meeting called to order: 7:00 pm
- Approve minutes: Minutes from September 4 approved.
- Building and Grounds Report: Staff along with Paul Sleeper from DNR stocked Lake McBride with catfish. Time spent on landscape work, mowing and trimming, and maintaining ball fields. Liberty Centre Pond stonework washed away with April 2013 flooding and FEMA is paying for Country Landscapes to repair this. Staff has placed 8 ‘Herky on Parade’ statues around town. West Lake residents and staff cut back invasive willow trees.
- Halloween Events: Planning and organization of upcoming events: Moonlight Hayrack Ride/Movie (Oct. 10 & 11), Pumpkin Carving/Decorating (Oct. 18), Haunted Happenings (Oct. 23 & 24)
- Upcoming Events: Swim Lessons, next session (Oct. 6), Lil Chefs (Oct. 7), Youth Competitive Basketball Leagues (Oct. 13), Zombie Apocalypse Survival Camp (Oct. 25)
- Winter/Spring 2015 Brochure: Planning of January-April 2015 programs begin: Print date/distribution Nov. 19-22, Registration begins Dec. 1, Program start date Week of January 6, 2015
- New Issues: The full-time evening custodian has started and will work 9:00PM to 5:30AM; back door at Rec Center was broken and is being repaired; Purchased elliptical machine, treadmill, and Smith machine, should be here middle of month. For Parks Dept.: Penn Elementary is using Penn Meadows Park for recess due to construction.
- Recreation Monthly Report: Reviewed reports presented, including hard copy of expenditures report.
- Other Issues: Still working on temperature and humidity issues in pool area.
- Next Meeting Thursday November 6, 2014 at 7:00PM Location: City Council Chambers at 1 Quail Creek Circle
- Adjourned at 7:25 pm
Minutes submitted by Jami Maxson