The first day of school throughout North Liberty is Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2017, and that means a lot of families will be dropping kindergartners off for the first time, attending a brand new school and otherwise adjusting from their summer schedules. And bus drivers and school staff are getting back into the swing of things, too.
The opening school bells coincide with times that already see heavy traffic. While everyone works out their fall routines (and snaps first-day-of-school photos to share on Facebook), commuters are encouraged to leave home a little earlier, travel carefully in school zones and be patient and courteous throughout North Liberty.
School start times
- 7:55 a.m. for students at Penn (230 N. Dubuque St.), Garner (80 Birch St.) and Van Allen (170 Abigail Ave.) elementary schools
- 8:10 a.m. for students at North Bend Elementary School (2230 St Andrews Dr.)
- 8:50 a.m. for students at North Central Junior High School (180 E. Forevergreen Road) and Liberty High School (1400 S. Dubuque St.)
Crossing guards are stationed at the following intersections, and drivers are required to obey their signals:
- Dubuque and Penn streets
- Dubuque and Cherry streets
- Front and Birch streets
- Front Street and Abigail Ave.