Request for Proposals: website redesign
Questions and clarifications regarding the Request for Proposals should be directed to:
The City of North Liberty is a municipal government serving a town of about 19,000 residents. Those residents are young — the average age is around 30 — and tend to be both busy and tech savvy. We are looking to modernize, reorganize and add functionality to our official website, which serves as the hub for official information for the town’s residents, visitors and partners.
Project Goals & Target Audience
The primary goals of this project are to:
- Implement a modern, mobile-friendly, responsive design
- Reorganize the site’s navigation and sitemap to better serve our audiences
- Improve accessibility for the visually impaired and non-English speakers
- Improve the workflow for regularly required tasks, such as posting meeting agendas and minutes, public project information including RFPs and bids
- Increase the availability, both in subject and medium, of notification options for users
While the primary audience is people who are part of the community and use our services, the website should also serve as a promotional tool for those visiting, planning a move or considering doing business in our town.
While considering the redesign, the user experience of third-party websites (including separate websites for the library and fire department, permit submission, bill paying and more) should be accommodated.
Scope of Work & Deliverables
We’re seeking a firm to:
- Assess and restructure the site’s structure and connection to other domains to improve user experience
- Design, test, deliver and implement a WordPress theme
- Recommend and implement appropriate WordPress plug-ins to deliver improved functionality
- Migrate current content as needed
Oct. 4, 2017 Initial proposals are due via email to email@example.com
Oct. 5 – 27, 2017 Staff interviews firms prior to making recommendation to Communications Advisory Commission
Nov. 6, 2017 Communications Advisory Commission considers recommendation
Jan. 8, 2018 Present draft wireframe and sitemap to Communications Advisory Commission
April 1, 2018 Project substantially complete
May 1, 2018 Final project completion
The content management system we currently use, and require for the redesign, in WordPress. We need to regularly upload assets larger than 30 MB. Staff requires FTP access, multiple user accounts and administrative access.
Hosting must support an average of about 15,000 unique users per month, with occasional traffic spikes during emergencies, and guarantee 99.9% uptime.
We have $10,000 budgeted for consultation, design and implementation. Our budget for assets is limited, however we have a library of photo and video assets and staff who can produce necessary additional assets.
Criteria for Selection
A firm will be selected after consideration of the following criteria:
- Technical expertise
- Design portfolio
- User experience expertise
- Experience with local government and similar agencies