North Liberty Parks & Recreation Committee Meeting
Thursday, December 7, 2017
Board Members Present: Matthew Eckhardt, Jami Maxson, Scott Stahmer, Raquishia Harrington, Jeff Kellbach, Troy Carter
Others Present: Shelly Simpson, Guy Goldsmith, Brian Motley
Meeting called to order: 7:00 pm
- Approve minutes: Minutes from November 2 meeting approved.
- Board Appointment: Welcome Troy Carter, new board member
- Dek Hockey presentation: Joshua Karau presented info re activity, started in Quad Cities by Patrick Levesque, has now expanded to Waterloo and would like to expand to North Liberty. Is version of hockey played on hard surface outdoors spring to fall. Their needs are hard surface (concrete or ashphalt), lighting, and sound. They would provide interlocking surface, side walls and fencing. Board is interested but issue is space and hard surface availability.
- Centennial Park playground: Guy presented 4 options, 2 from Little Tikes and 2 from Game Time for 5-12 yr play structure at park. All are a poured in place surface, and ADA accessible. Discussion re costs and features of each. Motion made and passed to approve Little Tikes Option 1.
- Recreation Survey: No budget approval for RFP so Shelly worked with Nick to formulate survey that is available online and via hard copy at Rec Center desk and City Hall. WIll accept through January 31.
- Fees/Membership discussion:Presented proposals for new fee/membership schedule. Depending on the age group and package type, fees may increase, decrease or stay the same, although many of the annual fees have a decrease in cost. Proposal has no difference in rates between resident and non-resident. Have not had rate increase in 10 years, and would like to institute a facility use pass to better track and identify facility users (such as for open gym). Discussed proposals, board had questions re no fee difference for non-residents (who are also not paying taxes to support center) and the new facility/track use annual fee of $60, wondering if it will limit ready use that is an introduction to the rest of the facility. Shelly will discuss more with staff and bring back to board.
- Building and Grounds Report: Finished mowing, snow removal equipment ready. Seeded Babe Ruth field. Working on budget, has meeting re budget next week.
- Upcoming events:
Holiday Vendor Fair December 9
Breakfast with Santa December 9
- Recreation Monthly Report: Novemebr swim seesion had 178 participants. Increase in Kids Campsite numbers with cold weather.
- Next Meeting Thursday January 4, 2018 at 7:00PM
Location: City Council Chambers at 1 Quail Creek Circle
- Adjourned at 8:24 pm
Minutes submitted by Jami Maxson