Building Permits

Permits from the City of North Liberty for a variety of situations department, including temporary use, water heater, construction site runoff, and zoning compliance. Applicable codes, regulations, policies and guidelines are available from Building Safety and Inspection. To estimate permit fees, download our Excel spreadsheet building permit fee calculator.

Upload a Permit Application Search for Issued Permits  Download a List of Issued Permits
To submit a permit, download the appropriate application form below, complete it and submit it online, on your iPhone and iPad, or Android device. This service requires a free account. Our agency code is Nor01. Permit applications require Adobe Reader 8 or better. Download the latest version at

You can search for issued building permits, or download a list of recently issued building permits.

Temporary Use
Required for portable storage containers, construction offices, agricultural produce stands, real estate sales offices and model homes, and other temporary uses.

Commercial Building
Required for commercial, industrial and multifamily building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and sewer and water service.

Residential Building
Required for residential construction.

Manufactured Home Permit
Required to install a manufactured home, prior to occupancy. The application fee is $100.

Required for the construction of streets, sanitary sewers, storm sewers, storm water management facilities, water distribution systems and other utilities. The application fee is $25.

Construction Site Runoff
Required for projects with earth-disturbing activities related to construction on one acre of land or more or sites less than one acre if the earth-disturbing activities are part of a larger common plan of development that would disturb one acre or more. The application fee is $150.

Right of Way Permit
Required for work within the public right of way. The application fee is $23.50.

Required for the demolition of structures. The application fee is $25.

Permanent Sign 
Required for the installation of permanent ground and wall signs. The application fee is $50.

Temporary Sign
In order to expedite permitting for the signs, the city is implementing a web-based self-sign-up permit system for business owners at A PDF version of this page is available for download. Owners may simply enter information there for the desired sign(s) to self-permit. It is also a resource to track sign usage, and city staff will review the list to make sure all signs in use are on the list. If a business does not have access to the self-sign-up, they may contact Dean Wheatley, Planning Director, at 626-5747 for assistance, or stop by City Hall. Citations will be issued to businesses placing signs that are not permitted. There is no fee.

Water Treatment Permit Application
Required to install a device for treating water. The application fee is $23.50

Zoning Compliance
Required for new and relocation of commerce. The application fee is $25.

Backflow Device Testing and Maintenance Report Form

Required for the instillation of a new deck. The application fee is $23.50

Required for the instillation of a new driveway or the modification of an existing driveway. The application fee is $25.

Fence Permit
The application for the issuance of a permit to erect, modify or relocate a fence. The application fee is $25.

Water Heater Replacement
Required to replace an existing water heater. The application fee is $23.50.

Natural Gas Service Reactivation
Required to reactivate natural gas service that has been out of service for more than 365 days. The application fee is $23.50.

Furnace AC Replacement Permit Application
Required to replace an existing furnace or air conditioning unit. The application fee is $23.50.

Temporary LP Gas Heat Application
Required to store and use liquid propane gass. The fee for this permit is set by council resolution.

Other Permits

Special Events Permit
Required, in general, temporary uses that are public, commercial in nature, require use of public property, include the consumption of alcohol, amplified music, signage, road closures or temporary structures. For additional details, including exceptions, see city ordinance Chapter 171.03. The Special Event Permit application must be submitted no later than four weeks prior to the event. An application fee of $50 is due at the time the application is submitted. The application fee may be waived for non-profit organizations at the discretion of the City Administrator. City staff will review the application and the City Administrator may approve the permit subject to conditions determined to be appropriate to the specific event.

If your event meets certain guidelines, you can request it be added to our community events calendar.

Rental Permit
Rental property in North Liberty must be inspected and licensed as of July 1, 2014.

Peddler Permit
Required for transient sellers. Fee depends on duration of permit.

Urban Chickens
Required to keep chickens on residential property. You can read the ordinance and other requirements here. Fee depends on duration of permit.