We’re All Getting Ready for the Start of School — and a Brand-new School
The start of the school year is just around the corner, with ICCSD schools beginning Friday, Aug. 23, 2019, and CCA schools beginning Monday, Aug. 26, 2019. City staff, school districts and families are all getting ready for the new year. Many will be dropping kindergartners off for the first time, attending a brand-new school and otherwise adjusting from their summer schedules, and bus drivers and school staff are getting back into the swing of things.
A little preparation — and patience — from everyone will go a long way to kids getting to school safely.
School Start Times
The opening school bells coincide with times that already see heavy traffic. While everyone works out their fall routines (and snaps first-day-of-school photos to share on Facebook), commuters are encouraged to leave home a little earlier, travel carefully in school zones and be patient and courteous throughout North Liberty.
While getting the kids gathered for back-to-school photos, please take them at home rather than at school to ease congestion around the buildings.
- 7:55 a.m. for students at Penn (230 N. Dubuque St.), Garner (80 Birch St.), Van Allen (170 Abigail Ave.) and new Christine Grant (1000 Centro Way) elementary schools
- 8:10 a.m. for students at North Bend Elementary School (2230 St Andrews Dr.)
- 8:50 a.m. for students at North Central Junior High School (180 E. Forevergreen Road) and Liberty High School (1400 S. Dubuque St.)
School speed zone signs begin flashing 30 minutes before elementary schools start and end and will stop flashing 30 minutes after school starts and ends, based on the schedules of nearby schools. Drivers should obey the posted speed when signs are flashing.
City crossing guards are stationed at the following intersections:
- Stewart and Penn streets
- Dubuque and Cherry streets
- Front and Birch streets
- Front Street and Abigail Avenue
Guards are there to help kids cross safely, not direct traffic, and drivers are required to obey their signals.
Traffic and Sidewalks Changes
City staff and contractors have been busy repainting lines and crosswalks, finishing construction projects and getting trails cleaned up to the start of school. Updates by the start of the school year include:
- All American Concrete, the project general contractor, says Front Street between Penn Street and Centro Way (formerly North Bend Drive) will reopen
- Main Street between Cherry and Dubuque streets, including sidewalks, has reopened
- Trail network expansion that includes trail along Cherry Street and Zeller Street will reopen
- North Liberty Recreation Trail between Cherry and Zeller streets will reopen
More than a quarter of North Liberty’s population is younger than 15 years old, so starting back to school is a big deal. Have a great school year, and thanks for helping start it off right.