Mega Kites to Soar Above North Liberty on May 16
On Sunday, May 16, we’re bringing fun to the sky with awe-inspiring mega kites. Here’s all you need to know:
The five Ws
- Who: You! Free and no reservation needed.
- What: Giant character kites above the park.
- Where: Centennial Park, 1565 St Andrews Dr., North Liberty
- When: Sunday, May 16, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Why: To safely reconnect as a community at a free, outdoor event.
What to bring
- Lawn chairs and blankets to relax on while enjoying the sights.
- A picnic to enjoy with family and friends. Food and drink will not be available for purchase. Also, a friendly reminder: alcohol is not allowed in city parks.
- Your own kite to fly. Kites will also be available for purchase.
- Your camera!
- Your dog, if you’d like. They are welcome as long as they are on a leash and you clean up after them.
Who will be there
- Eastern Iowa Airport – CID with a stair truck to climb for the perfect photo opportunity among the kites.
- GreenState Credit Union’s (grounded) hot air balloon.
- South Slope with a chance to spin their prize wheel for fun giveaways and a Cedar Rapids Kernels prize package.
- Hills Bank with a kids’ activity, trinkets and a visit from their mascot, Penny Bear.
- North Liberty Library with free Veridian Credit Union coloring books and registration information for the Summer Reading Program.
- Great American Kites with giant character kites.
How to get there and where to park
- Centennial Park is located between Kansas Avenue and Jones Boulevard at 1565 St Andrews Dr.
- Please park on the park’s paved lots or along nearby residential streets.
- Skip the car and walk, bike or roller blade to the park!
Stay in the loop
- This event is weather and wind dependent. Any cancellations or delays will be posted in the Facebook event.
- Share your photos with us by tagging the City of North Liberty on Facebook or Instagram.
- Stay connected with the City by subscribing to the North Liberty Bulletin or signing up for news alerts.
COVID Event Mitigations
While we are looking forward to a fun summer, public health is our highest priority. The following mitigations and expectations of our attendees are in place.
What we’re doing:
- This event is outdoors. Bad weather or low or extreme winds will cancel the event.
- Masks will be worn by staff, volunteers and vendors.
- Hand washing and hand sanitizer stations will be present.
- No alcohol or food service will be provided. Picnics are welcome.
What we expect from you:
- As this is North Liberty’s first large community event in over a year, help make sure all attendees feel comfortable with masks and distancing. The CDC has released new guidance for fully vaccinated individuals, but notes that local public health guidance may differ. As of today, Johnson County’s mask mandate is in effect through May 31.
- Attendees should stay home if anyone in the household is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or has had contact with anyone who has tested positive in the past two weeks.
We’re committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for this events for individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to participate, please contact [email protected] or call (319) 626-5726 at least two days prior to the event.
Who to Thank
This free event is made possible by Veridian Credit Union, South Slope, Shive-Hattery, Hills Bank, GreenState Credit Union, Eastern Iowa Airport – CID and the City of North Liberty.
Mega Kites is just one of over 35 events and programs on North Liberty’s Summer Slate. A partnership between city departments and supported by Veridian Credit Union, South Slope, Shive-Hattery, Hills Bank, GreenState Credit Union, and Eastern Iowa Airport – CID, the Summer Slate is designed to provide free events that can easily adjust to the changing public health landscape for our community. Explore the schedule at northlibertyiowa.org/SummerSlate.
Still have questions?
Contact [email protected] or call (319) 626-5726.