Free Fishing Event June 5 at Liberty Centre Pond
This weekend is the Iowa DNR’s free fishing weekend, and the city’s parks and recreation departments are partnering with area organizations to provide a free day of fishing and aquatics education on Saturday, June 5. Here’s all you need to know:
The five Ws
- Who: You! Free and no reservation needed. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- What: A day of free fishing and aquatic education.
- Where: Liberty Centre Pond, 795 W Cherry St, North Liberty.
- When: Saturday, June 5 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Why: Try to catch anything from a bluegill to a catfish right here in town.
What to bring
- Your fishing pole, or an ID to check one out.
- A trout stamp. Although a fishing license isn’t required during free fishing weekend, a trout stamp is if fishing for trout.
- Lawn chairs and blankets to relax on.
- Your dog, if you’d like. They are welcome as long as they are on a leash and you clean up after them.
Who will be there
- City of North Liberty with complimentary hot dogs, chips and water, as supplies last.
- TAKO with educational materials and prizes, donated by Scheels.
How to get there and where to park
- Liberty Center Pond is located between Penn and Cherry streets at 795 W Cherry St.
- Parking is available along residential side streets or on surrounding local business paved lots.
- Skip the car and walk, bike or roller blade to the event!
Stay in the loop
- This event is weather dependent. Any cancellations or delays will be posted in the Facebook event.
- Share your photos with us by tagging the City of North Liberty on Facebook or Instagram.
- Stay connected with the city by subscribing to the North Liberty Bulletin or signing up for news alerts.
COVID event mitigations
While we are looking forward to a fun summer, everyone is easing out of the pandemic at their own pace. Events on the Summer Slate have adopted the City of North Liberty’s “masked until you’re vaxxed” policy for staff and attendees.
In line with public health guidance, those fully vaccinated against COVID-19, meaning two weeks have passed since they have received the second of two doses of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, are no longer expected to wear a mask when attending Summer Slate events. Organizers ask those who have yet to be fully vaccinated to still wear a mask. COVID-19 vaccines are free and currently available to anyone 12 years or older at local pharmacies and hospitals.
As always, attendees should stay home if anyone in the household is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.
We’re committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for this event for individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to participate, please contact [email protected] or call (319) 626-5726 at least two days prior to the event.
Who to thank
This free event is made possible by the Iowa DNR, Scheels, Take a Kid Outdoors, Hy-Vee and the City of North Liberty.
This free fishing event is just one of over 35 events and programs on North Liberty’s Summer Slate. A partnership between city departments and supported by Veridian Credit Union, South Slope, Shive-Hattery, Hills Bank, GreenState Credit Union, and Eastern Iowa Airport – CID, the Summer Slate is designed to provide free events that can easily adjust to the changing public health landscape for our community. Explore the schedule at northlibertyiowa.org/SummerSlate.
Still have questions?
Contact [email protected] or call (319) 626-5726.