Fall in Love with Winter at Sunday’s Fire & Ice
Organizers of North Liberty’s Beat the Bitter are on a mission to turn Iowans into winter-lovers; and while brutal temperatures and school closures make that goal no small feat, they hope Sunday’s Fire & Ice presented by GreenState Credit Union scores some points.
Running from 4 to 8 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 30 in North Liberty’s Penn Meadows Park (355 E Penn St), Fire & Ice is free and packed with winter-themed fun. Bundle up to:
- Admire nine creations on the Ice Sculpture Walk (illuminated beginning at 5 p.m.)
- Enjoy a horse-drawn carriage ride (rides end at 7 p.m.)
- Warm up around enjoy s’mores around the community bonfire
- Be amazed by fire breathing, juggling and dancing performances every 20-minutes
- Meet Frozen’s Olaf, a polar bear and a penguin
- Take a spin on Scheels Ice Rink (skates provided) and collect autographs from Iowa Heartlanders players (5 to 6 p.m.)
- Step inside a giant inflatable snow globe for one-of-a-kind photo
- Stroll up and down the park trail for the library’s two-sided StoryWalk
- Fill up with a stop at Marcos Grilled Cheese and George’s Best Gyros food trucks (for purchase)
- Celebrate winter with a fireworks finale at 8 p.m.
- Receive giveaways and play games from event sponsors:
- Warm up with a cup of hot chocolate from Adam Schechinger State Farm
- Make s’mores around the bonfire with Hills Bank
- Snag an LED glow stick from South Slope
- Play slapshot hockey with MidWestOne Bank
- Spin the wheel to win ice scrapers and other prizes from Centro, Incorporated
- Get your sweet fix with cotton candy from Eastern Iowa Airport – CID
- Take home free lip balm from University of Iowa Health Care
- Toss snowballs to win prizes from GEICO Careers
- Snack on popcorn from Collins Community Credit Union
All programming is free. Visit beatthebitter.com to learn more and explore other Beat the Bitter scheduled events, like North Liberty Lights and the Jan. 29 5K-ish Glow Run presented by GEICO Careers.
Fire & Ice is made possible by Adam Schechinger State Farm; Centro, Incorporated; Eastern Iowa Airport – CID; GEICO Philanthropic Foundation; Hills Bank, MidWestOne Bank; Shive-Hattery; South Slope Cooperative Communications; University of Iowa Health Care; Veridian Credit Union, and the City of North Liberty. Additional support for Beat the Bitter is provided by Collins Community Credit Union, Scheels, GreenState Credit Union, Think Iowa City, June Ford BMW of North Liberty, US Bank, Alliant Energy and Z102.9.
This event is part of North Liberty’s City Slate, a compilation of North Liberty’s largest and free city-produced events. More information at northlibertyiowa.org/cityslate.