Better Neighbors Series Continues to Teach Community Skills and Awareness
With a new, free training series — Better Neighbors — adults of all abilities can learn new skills and gain a new understanding of issues impacting our community.
The North Liberty area is teeming with experts on all sorts of useful topics, and all year long, we will be tapping into these people and service organizations so residents can feel empowered to respond appropriately and, when necessary, take action.
Better Neighbors invites individuals to pick and choose the topics that interest them as neighbors, community members, local employers or employees. This series is open to anyone regardless of residency. Space is limited; class size and time commitment vary depending on the topic. Face masks will not be required for attendees during these trainings; we encourage everyone to make their own decisions based on individual comfort level. Mask requirements could change based on current public health guidance. Water and snacks will be provided, but you may also bring your own.
Upcoming Better Neighbors sessions:
- March 28, 8:45 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Understanding Implicit Racial Bias: Rewiring Our Perceptions and Intentions Learning Exchange, facilitated by Iowa State University Child Welfare Research and Training Project. Details about the program. Registration required by Monday, March 20; sign up here.
Past Better Neighbors sessions:
- Aug. 9, 1 to 3:30 p.m. or 5 to 7:30 p.m.: Stewards of Children child sexual abuse detection training, facilitated by Rape Victim Advocacy Center staff.
- Sept. 6, 6 to 7:30 p.m.: Question, Persuade, Refer suicide prevention training, facilitated by CommUnity staff.
- Sept. 20, 6 to 7 p.m.: Voting Laws and Process for November, facilitated by Johnson County Auditor’s Office.
- Oct. 18, 6 to 8 p.m.: Trap, Neuter, Return and Community Cat Care workshop, facilitated by Johnson County Humane Society and Community Cat League staff.
- Nov. 1, 6 to 7:30 p.m.: Opioid Crisis, Naloxone & Stigma Reduction, facilitated by the Iowa Harm Reduction Coalition.
- Dec. 13 10 to 11:30 a.m.: LGBTQ 101, facilitated by One Iowa.
- Dec. 13 1 to 2:30 p.m.: LGBTQ 201, facilitated by One Iowa.
- Feb. 28, 8:45 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Race: The Power of an Illusion Learning Exchange, facilitated by Iowa State University Child Welfare Research and Training Project.
Additional topics planned for the Better Neighbors series include mental health first aid, stop the bleed tourniquet training, becoming a dementia friend, human trafficking awareness, implicit bias awareness and more. As additional Better Neighbor sessions are confirmed, they will be added to the community event calendar.