Get Your Superhero Ready for School at the Summer Send-Off on Aug. 19
Say goodbye to summer and fuel up your super powers for the school year with agility courses (inflatables), power training (carnival games), costumes (face painting) and a meeting with superheroes on Saturday, Aug. 19.
The five Ws
- Who: Designed for children heading back to preschool and elementary school, but all ages are welcome.
- What: Get ready for another year of learning with inflatables, carnival games, food trucks, face painting and a meet-and-great with superheroes.
- Where: Centennial Park, 1565 St Andrews Dr.
- When: Saturday, August 19, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., followed by a outdoor screening of Spider-Man: No Way Home.
- Why: To celebrate a super summer!
What to expect
- Meet Batman and Wolverine from The Iowa League of Heroes (5 p.m. to 7 p.m. only)
- Transform into your favorite character with the help of professional face painters! Costumes encouraged.
- Sharpen your super powers and earn prizes with carnival games hosted by South Slope, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, MidWestOne Bank, The Family Dental Center and other community organizations.
- Put your agility to the test on six inflatable attractions.
- Select a super hero balloon design.
- Fuel up with That’s so Cheesy, Pizza Ranch, Kona Ice and Travelin’ Toms for purchase. Picnics also welcome.
- Stick around for a screening of Spider-Man: No Way Home at dusk.
Free community events are not possible without volunteers. Be a superhero by singing up to help monitor our inflatables. View shifts and sign up here.
Food and drink
Superheroes need to fuel up for their upcoming mission. That’s so Cheesy, Pizza Ranch, Kona Ice and Travelin’ Toms will be onsite for purchase. Your own snacks and drinks are also welcome, but a reminder that alcohol is prohibited.
Stick around after the inflatables and carnival games wrap up at 8 p.m. for an outdoor screening of Spider-Man: No Way Home (PG-13). Bring lawn chairs and blankets to relax on. The movie will begin at dusk, shortly after 8 p.m.
The screening is made possible by the North Liberty Youth Council. The Youth Council is composed of local high school students focused on supporting the community through service projects and advocating for other young people in North Liberty.
How to get there and where to park
- Centennial Park is located at 1565 St. Andrews Drive
- Please park in the park’s paved lots or around the park’s perimeter drive
- Skip the car and walk, bike or roller blade to the park!
You also might be wondering
- Yes, portable toilets will be available during this event.
- Yes, dogs are welcome as long as they are on a leash and you clean up after them.
- The use of tobacco, nicotine, vape and other electronic smoking devices are prohibited in North Liberty parks, trails and public recreation areas
Who to thank
This event is part of the City Slate. The yearlong schedule of events is made possible by Centro, Inc, The Family Dental Center, The Eastern Iowa Airport – CID, Hills Bank, MidWestOne Bank, Shive-Hattery, South Slope Cooperative, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, Urban Acres Real Estate and Veridian Credit Union.
Stay in the loop
Any cancellations or delays will be posted in the Facebook event.
Share your photos with us on Facebook and Instagram
Stay connected with the City by subscribing to the North Liberty Bulletin or signing up for news alerts.
We’re committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation at our events for individuals with disabilities. For accommodations, please reach out to [email protected] or call (319) 626-5755.
More City Slate Fun
This event is part of the City Slate, a compilation of North Liberty’s largest and free city-produced events, with more than 40 events planned in 2023. Explore the schedule at northlibertyiowa.org/cityslate.
Help Build Centennial Park’s Next Stage
We’re committed to providing our residents and visitors opportunities to play in North Liberty, and we have big plans for Centennial Park. To help us add to and enhance our programming, please consider making a donation to Building North Liberty’s Next Stage campaign. When complete, Centennial Park will be home to the Centennial Center — a multipurpose indoor event space and connected outdoor stage — an open-air pavilion, expansive plaza spaces, a premier splash pad, wheelchair-accessible playground features, expanded parking and trails, restrooms and an honor garden. Learn more about the project, make a one-time donation or pledge financial support over multiple payments at northlibertyiowa.org/nextstage.