Accessory Building Permit & Uses Information & Checklist
Application review and approval process requires the following:
Fully completed Permit Application (complete and submit online [preferred], mail in, or drop off at City Hall, 3 Quail Creek Circle in North Liberty).
Site plan uploaded or brought with application which includes:
- North arrow.
- Property street address.
- Street name(s).
- Lot size with dimensions.
- Right-of-way and easements marked (if known).
- All Structures on the Property including the proposed storage building, swimming pool, or play/recreational structure
- Setback distances from to accessory building to all property boundary lines and separation distance between the accessory building .
Permits are approved with these conditions understood:
- Construction/installation shall comply with Section 169.06 and 169.08 of the North Liberty Zoning Code.
- Permit is approved and issued before construction/installation of building commences.
- R district regulations:
Online Application Portal:
Complete your application, illustrate your site plan, and have your, or your contractor’s, detailed project proposal, upload them through the online application portal.
- Enter the project address in the “Property Information” field and pick from the drop down addresses.
- Choose “Zoning” for Permit Type
- Scroll down to Upload your application & project plans, and Submit.
North Liberty Code regarding Zoning Ordinances:
Chapter 169 – Development Regulations (shed permits here, 169.06)
North Liberty Code of Ordinances:
Storage Buildings. All accessory buildings used for storage or other similar use may be located in any portion of the rear yard under the following conditions:
Separation from Main Building. All accessory buildings shall be separated from the main building by 10 feet.
- Maximum 200 square feet gross building size
- No portion of the structure shall be located in any of the following areas:
- Less than four feet from any adjoining property line.
- Less than 10 feet from a public or private alley
- Within Easements
- Maximum building height of 10 feet (measured at midpoint of roofline height and eave height)
R-FB Zones refer to 168.05(8)(K)
Storage Shed. A maximum of one storage shed per lot, no greater than 12 x 12 feet, may be located as an accessory use to the factory-built home, provided the shed is located on the same space as the factory-built home. The storage shed shall not be located in the front yard setback area of the factory-built home space.
Front Yard Area. No private garage or storage buildings shall be located in the front yard area. (the attached yard illustrations are for “Yard” definition purposes only. Site plans do not require those details)