Latest Alerts:
City Hall Closed Wednesday, April 24, for Move

City Hall Closed Wednesday, April 24, for Move

City Hall will be closed on Wednesday, April 24, 2024, so staff can move from the current, leased offices to the new, permanent building.

The final day of operations at 3 Quail Creek Center will be Tuesday, April 23.

City Hall will reopen at 360 N. Main St. at 7 a.m. on Thursday, April 25.

A ribbon cutting and open house is planned for Tuesday, May 14, from 4:30 to 6 p.m.

Subscribe to Alerts

Police: Frequently Asked Questions

How do I contact the police or who should I call to talk to an officer?

In an emergency call 911, if you have routine or non-emergency business, please call the Joint Communications Center at (319) 356-6800 and an officer will be dispatched.

How do I submit a formal complaint?

You can make a complaint within 10 working days for the date of an incident by completing the Citizen Complaint form and returning it to the police department in person, by mail at 340 N. Main St., PO Box 77, North Liberty IA 52317, or via email, to [email protected].

How do I contact the records department?

The North Liberty Police Department office is open weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  The office is closed on major holidays or days when records staff is not on duty. Public parking is located on Cherry Street or north of the police department. To contact records, please call (319) 626-5724 or email [email protected]. If you need to talk to an officer please call dispatch (see question #1)

What are the parking violations in North Liberty?

Please refer to Chapter 69 of the North Liberty Code of Ordinances. In addition, a police officer is authorized to impound a vehicle if it has accumulated two or more parking citations where payment of such is 30 or more days overdue. In addition to the penalties, the owner or driver of the impounded vehicle shall be responsible for the costs of towing and storage. This is addressed in chapter 70.06 of the North Liberty Code of Ordinances.

Where can I pay a parking ticket?

You can mail the payment to City Hall at: City of North Liberty, PO Box 77, North Liberty, IA 52317

You may also pay it in person at City Hall’s front desk, 3 Quail Creek Circle. If you mail it, be sure to include the envelope provided and/or the citation number.

Will the North Liberty Police Department unlock my car?

Yes, an officer can attempt to unlock your car. There is no fee for this service, but you will be required to sign a waiver of liability prior to the officer providing the service. In the event that you are locked out of your car, call Joint Dispatch (see question #1). Be prepared to tell the dispatcher your name, where you are and the description of your vehicle. Officers request you stand by with your vehicle until arrival and during unlocking.

What should I do if I my purse or wallet is lost or stolen?

First, report it to the department in the jurisdiction in which it was lost or stolen. Second, call all of your credit card companies to cancel your credit cards or call your bank and notify them if a checkbook is missing. Then call the following companies and put a fraud alert for your credit card numbers:

  • Equifax: 1 (800) 525-6285
  • Experian: 1 (888) 397-3742
  • Trans Union: 1 (800) 680-7289
  • Social Security Administration Fraud Hotline: 1 (800) 269-0271

It is a good idea to keep the credit card account numbers and associated phone numbers in a secure location in your home. Some people make photocopies of the front and back of the cards for reference. In the event that your cards are lost or stolen, you will have all of the information you need in order to report it to your companies.

Where can I get a copy of my criminal history?

For all criminal history inquiries, you will have to contact the Iowa Department of Public Safety at (515) 281-4776 or visit its website.

Where do I pay a traffic citation?

You can pay in person at the Johnson County Clerk’s Office at: Johnson County Courthouse, 417 S. Clinton St., Iowa City, IA 52244.

You can also mail it to the Clerk’s Office in the envelope you were given with the citation. If you lost the envelope or were not given one, mail a check or money order along with the appropriate copy of the citation to: Clerk of District Court, Traffic Violation Office, P.O. Box 2510, Iowa City, IA 52244-2510.

You may also pay your traffic citations online at

How do I have an officer check my house while I am on vacation?

Call the records department (see question #2). We will need to know to know your name/address, the dates you will be gone, who will have access to the house, what cars should be in the driveway, if you have an alarm, and who we should contact in case of an emergency. If you are reporting after business hours you may call Joint Dispatch (see question #1) and ask for a vacation house check. The dispatcher will get the above information.

Is the police department currently hiring?

Check the City of North Liberty’s jobs page. Applicants will need to complete the city application, a cover letter, resume, and a list of references. Applicants must also meet the minimum Iowa Law Enforcement Academy requirements. If you have more questions on the requirements, please visit the ILEA’s FAQ.

How do I get a copy of a report?

If you want a copy of an accident report, call the routine business line during office hours (see question #2). There is a $10 fee to obtain a copy of an accident report. Criminal reports are not released to the public without a subpoena. Calls for Service may be released that show the date, time and location of the call made. (Fees will apply depending on amount of paper, video, and time to locate records.)

Does the police department fingerprint the public?

Please call the North Liberty Police Department Records Department (see question #2) to schedule an appointment for fingerprints on an applicant card. If after hours please leave a message on the general voice mail box and someone will call you back to reschedule. Appointment times are Monday 9 to 11 a.m., Wednesday 9 to 11 a.m. and Thursday 2:30 to 4 p.m. Hours are subject to change and you must have a prior appointment scheduled. There is a $10 fee for the first applicant fingerprint card and $10 fee for each additional card. Cash or checks accepted and checks will need to be made out to the City of North Liberty.

How do I get a salvage vehicle inspection?

Salvage vehicle inspections are completed on vehicles that have a salvage title. Please call the records department (see question #2) to schedule or cancel an appointment. If after hours or no one answers, please leave a message in the general voice mailbox and someone will return your call when they are available. We have appointments on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 10 a.m.  This is a service the department provides and if an emergency call comes in, it will take priority and inspections may have to be rescheduled without notice or if an officer is not available. Please park on the north side of the building on Cherry Street.

Before your inspection appointment, you will need to fill out the affidavit of salvage vehicle repairs form on the DOT web site and pay the $50 fee. On the day of the inspection, you will need to bring the title, bill of sale, any receipts for any parts that were put on the vehicle and your ID. Any items missing from this list will result in the rescheduling of the appointment to another day. Problem inspections will be noted and habitual violators will not be allowed to return to this location for further inspections.

Who should I call if my pet is lost in the City of North Liberty?

If during normal business hours, please call City Hall at (319) 626-5700 and Joint dispatch (see question #1). They will need to know owner information, contact information and description of animal. Any animals picked up by the city will be housed temporarily in the city. If housed by the city there will be an impoundment/housing fee. If you need to claim an animal you will need to make arrangements with City Hall during normal business hours to pay the fee and claim the animal. If after hours leave a message with City Hall or you may contact the Cedar Valley Humane Society website is They can also be reached at 319‐362‐6288 or email at [email protected]. All domestic animals should be registered with the City. If a pet is located and has a city tag, every reasonable effort is made to return the animal back to the registered owner as soon as possible.

If multiple violations occur or have occurred, personal injury or damage to property, criminal charges and civil damages may be pursued against the owner or care giver of the pet.

What do I do if I find a stray pet in the city limits?

If during normal business hours please call city hall at 319-626-5700 and they will make arrangements with the city crews to pick up. If after business hours please call joint communications (see question #1) and a North Liberty Officer will pick up.

Who should I call if I have a wild animal on my property?

The City of North Liberty will respond if a wild animal is an immediate hazard to the public, (for example, if a resident was bitten by a wild animal and needs assistance in capturing for testing), and should call dispatch (see question #1) For all other wild animal request the owner or lessee of the property will be referred to a private pest control company,  for example Critter Control at 1 (800) 683-2560.

How do I request the speed trailer set up at a certain location?

Please complete this form. The location will be added to the list if it is a public street and it can safely be left at a location. The location must be level, not have any blind curves and not block any driveways.

Does the City of North Liberty have a curfew for minors?

Yes, for children 15 and under the curfew is enforceable in public places from 10:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. For children ages 16 and 17 the curfew takes place from midnight until 5 a.m. There are some exceptions so please refer to the Chapter 46.01 of the Code for full details.

What is the City of North Liberty Noise ordinance?

Easiest explanation is to read the City of North Liberty Code Chapter 53 on Noise. There are exceptions to the ordinance like for construction or maintenance activities that can occur from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Vehicle noise is also listed under Chapter 77 of the Code of Ordinances.

Does North Liberty register bikes or other property?

Currently the department registers bikes, but does not register other property. The best thing we recommend is to take a picture of the item and write down any serial number on the receipt for the item. Store these items in a safe place. If something should happen, you would have a photograph, description of the item and the receipt for the property, which can be shown to law enforcement so we can enter the item as stolen.

Does North Liberty offer child safety seat inspections?

Yes, the North Liberty Police Department offers education to caregivers for child passenger safety. The role of the child passenger safety technician is to educate caregivers on the correct selection, installation, and use of car seats, booster seats, and seat belts. Email Officer Travis Clubb at [email protected] to schedule your appointment. This service is free of charge.

Can I shoot off a model rocket or other missiles in a public park?

If launched from a public way or potential to land in the public right of way, it is illegal in North Liberty.

Where do I get copies of the voluntary statement form?

You can download a copy of our form here.

Google Translate