Parks and Recreation Commission on August 4, 2016
North Liberty Parks & Recreation Committee Meeting
Thursday, August 4, 2016
Proposal of Agenda
REGULAR MEETING: 7:00PM
- Approve minutes from meeting (s) of: Minutes from July 7 meeting.
- Public Comments/Concerns: Open to public for comments and concerns; 5 minutes per person time limit.
- Little Free Libraries: Discussion on patron inquiry.
- Fall Brochure/Registration: Fall Brochure is out and registration is under way for September-December programs.
- Building & Grounds Report: Parks Monthly Report
- Upcoming Events: Youth Triathlon (August 7), CR Kernels Game (August 19), Start of new school year (August 24)
- Any new issues not on the agenda?
- Recreation Monthly Report: Report included in packet summarizing the past month.
- Any old business not on agenda?
- Next Meeting Thursday, September 1 at 7:00 PM (Shelly absent), Location: City Council Chambers at 1 Quail Creek Circle
1. Approve minutes: Minutes from July 7 meeting approved.
2. Little Free Libraries: Discussion on NL resident with interest in establishing one in Quail Ridge Park and concerns refunding,
building process and especially liability and ongoing maintenance. Option introduced to establish library on private property, but
adjacent to park. Staff will gather info on who cares for current free little libraries and will correspond with the resident regarding our
3. Fall Brochure/Registration: Fall brochure is out, registration under way for Sept- Dec programs. New programs are Wiggle
Worms, Game Night, and Star Party. Swim lessons had to be cut due to later school hours and limits of workday for younger (high
4. Building and Grounds Report: Much time with mowing, and with cleaning out culverts and clearing fallen trees with storms. Also
busy with ball field prep, and placed park monuments (planning 3 yearly). Also worked and Blues and BBQ, parked 5000 cars. Splash
pad is now open. Parks Dept. will consider resident concerns and may expand size of pad, consider moving stones with safety
concerns (example of trimming budget to get project done, but then adjusting as necessary). Beaver Kreek playground set for
installation August 15.
5. Upcoming Events: Youth Triathlon August 7
CR Kernels game August 19
New school year (adjust programs) August 24
6. New issues: Brian, Shelly and Guy met with person heading soccer program, working on determining goals, location and on-going
1. Recreation Monthly Report: Reports reviewed. Cancelled Kayak/canoe trip due to heat advisory that day.
2. Green Space Application Form: Brian presented form he created, with waiver as requested by city attorney. Discussion regarding
struggles with outside club teams and drawing away from rec center programs, which may be more affordable for some. Motion made
to accept and start using form as developed, motion passed. Board and staff realize this may need to be adjusted, but will use it as a
starting point to determine usage and need.
1. Next Meeting Thursday September 1, 2016 at 7:00PM
Location: City Council Chambers at 1 Quail Creek Circle
2. Adjourned at 7:56 pm