Parks and Recreation Commission for September 6, 2018
North Liberty Parks & Recreation Committee Meeting
Thursday, September 6, 2018
Proposal of Agenda
- Approve minutes: July 5 meeting; August 2 meeting – canceled, no minutes
- Public Comments/Concerns:
- Board Appointments: Make appointments for: Chair; Vice Chair; Secretary
- Building & Grounds Report: Parks Monthly Report
- Fees/Membership Rate Changes: Approved by council, publicize now. Effective October 1, 2018
- Fall Programs Season: Back to full swing with programs; Gymnasiums busy; JH volleyball, leagues & rentals.
- Upcoming Events: Doggie Plunge Sept 9; Slow Roll/Bike Rodeo Sept 14 (canceled); Moonwalk & Star Party Sept 22; Swim Lessons Week of Sept 24; Celebration Belle Oct 3</li?
- Any new issues not on agenda?
- Recreation Monthly Report: Recreation Review from previous month.
- Any old issues not on agenda?
- Next Meeting: Thursday, October 4, 2018 at 7:00 PM, Location: City Council Chambers at 1 Quail Creek Circle
Board Members Present: Matthew Eckhardt, Jami Maxson, Troy Carter, Amalia Gedney-Lose, Megan Lehman
Others Present: Shelly Simpson, Guy Goldsmith, Brian Motley, Tim Hamer
Meeting called to order: 7:00 pm
1. Approve minutes: Minutes from July 5 meeting approved. (no quorum in August)
2. Board Appointments: Chair – Matthew Eckhardt
Vice Chair – Megan Lehman
Secretary – Jami Maxson
3. Building and Grounds Report: seasonal staff now gone. Working on mowing, maintaining ballfields. Pouring concrete
at Penn Meadows, getting new bleachers and shade structures, paving remainder of trail. Three new park monument
signs placed. Creekside playground relocated and reopened. Rock climbing area and new playground at Centennial
getting good feedback. City has purchased land for dog park, want to start improvements but need to wait until land
annexed into city.
4. Fees/Membership Rate Changes: Updated proposal approved by city council. Being publicized, effective Oct 1, 2018.
5. Fall Programs: Back in full swing – gymnasiums busy, JH volleyball, youth and adult leagues, rentals. Soccer program
larger but limited due to field space and daylight since no field lighting. Be sure to look online for facility schedules and
6. Upcoming Events: Doggie Plunge Sept 9
Moonwalk & Star Party Sept 22
Swim lessons week of Sept 24
Celebration Belle Cruise Oct 3
7. New Issues: Splash pad will stay open as long as weather allows.
1. Recreation Monthly Report: August often slowest month, changes with fall programming.
2. Old Business: a) Pool renovations – money allocated this fiscal year for new play structure, possibly addressing floating
structure wall. Would like to do before next season.
b) Recreation Master Planning – give Shelly any input, she will bring up with city government. Discussed measures to
engage community members. M. Eckhardt suggested Top 10 list to determine areas to focus on (of city staff, also board
c) Did fill administrative assistant opening, started this week.
1. Next Meeting Thursday October 4, 2018 at 7:00PM
Location: City Council Chambers at 1 Quail Creek Circle
2. Adjourned at 7:35 pm