Parks and Recreation Commission on January 7, 2021
7:00 p.m. via Zoom
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, public health and safety concerns require City of North Liberty public meetings to be held electronically, so as to limit the spread of the virus. The public is invited to submit questions and comments in advance of the meeting for consideration submitting them to the City Clerk Tracey Mulcahey via email at [email protected]
This meeting may be accessed live by the public on the internet at northlibertyiowa.org/live, on Facebook at facebook.com/northliberty or on YouTube at www.youtube.com/channel/UCrCw6ipAPjJnd-olpRgPJcg. You can also attend by phone; call 1 (312) 626 6799 with a touch-tone phone and to enter the meeting ID 869 3170 3672 and nine-digit meeting password 821492571. Meetings are rebroadcast on cable and available on-demand on northlibertyiowa.org.
- Call to Order
- Approval of Minutes
- December 3, 2020
- Parks Report
- Recreation/Pool Report
- Questions or Concerns
- Next Meeting
- Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 7:00pm.
Call to Order
7:00 pm by Megan Lehman
2. Approval of Minutes
December 3, 2020
Motion by Craig Sundell, seconded by Marcia Ziemer, motion carries.
Parks Report, Guy Goldsmith
• Ongoing building maintenance
• Upcoming projects: Ranshaw House (woodworking enhancements)
and installation of security doors at City Hall
• Snow removal responsibilities and equipment maintenance
• Continue to meet with Shive Hattery on Ranshaw Way Phase 5
landscaping and pedestrian tunnel as well as Dubuque St.
• Red Fern Dog Park closure until May 2021 to help turf grass. New
trash receptacles installed.
• Employee trainings continue through Target Solutions.
• Tree City USA application and approval – 25 year participant. Helps
with other grant opportunities and value City has on nature, trees
• Trees Please Grant from Mid American application and approval
for $1,000. Trees for Red Fern Dog Park.
• Budget work; making revisions to FY20/21 budget and capital
projects. Marcia asked status of whole city budget. Guy mentioned
that Department Heads have submitted operational budgets to
City Administration and we have upcoming meeting with City
Council. More to come.
• Craig asked if there will be an event or re-opening ceremony for
Red Fern Dog Park. Guy mentioned that Angela McConville has
taken lead and something will be planned. Megan chimed in she is
member of the JCDogPac whom will assist with such event.
Shannon asked what is JCDogPac – Johnson County Dog Park
Action Committee, they assist fundraising for local dog parks.
• Richard thanked Parks Dept for plowing Penn Meadows North lot.
He is a member of NL Coffee Fossils that meet in parking lot on
Mondays & Fridays.
• Marcia inquired about Parks Dept and Beat the Bitter event. Guy
mentioned that it will be nothing like in the past. No ice rink due
to limited park staff and its maintenance, upkeep for proper ice
surface. Shelly added to look at the beat the bitter website for the
most accurate information. Most activities are planned with
limited group interaction and fireworks remain a go at Penn
• COVID-19 updated: Rec center continues to plug along, same olesame ole, use by members through reservations as classes and
programs were canceled for the month of December. Continual
health checks, wearing of masks and social distancing whenever
• Indoor Pool re-opened with band-aid fixes to existing heater.
Replacement options are being considered, code updates may lead
to bigger expenses, not an easy swap in and out situation. Marcia
asked about impact on budget. Shelly explained some money has
been set aside, capital funds and all funding options will be
pursued since it is an item that needs to be replaced.
• Opening on weekends has been pushed back to February. Facility
use is anticipated to increase right after the holidays. Programs,
classes are planned to start week of January 18. Brian and staff are
comfortable in starting up leagues mid0Janaury as well. Both Brian
& Eric worked together on return to play safety protocol for NLC
• Brian mentioned new fitness equipment was installed in weight &
4. Next Meeting
Thursday, February 4 2020 at 7:00pm.
5. Adjourn at 7:21 pm