Questions can be addressed to City Hall at (319) 626-5700.
Trash, recycling, compost and yard waste pickup is every Wednesday, starting at 7 a.m.
Every garbage can or bag must have the appropriate sticker(s). Stickers cost $1.20 each and may be purchased at City Hall, Fareway, Casey’s, Gasby’s, LD Express, and Corridor Convenience.
Annual stickers are good from July 1 to June 30 and are prorated for the remainder of the each month. A full year costs $62.40 and may be purchased at City Hall.
1 sticker covers a 20-gallon bag/can; up to 40 pounds.
2 stickers cover a 21-35-gallon bag/can
No cans over 35 gallons will be picked up!
A monthly recycling fee is billed on your monthly utility bill at $5.15. We strongly encourage residents to recycle! No need to sort your items, just place your recycling bin at the curb. Replacement recycling bins are $8 and can be purchased at City Hall.
Recyclable items include:
- Newspapers, flattened cardboard and chipboard
- Glass food and beverage containers; clean, no lids
- Tin and aluminum cans – please rinse
- Magazines, phonebooks, mixed paper in paper bags
- Plastic food and beverage containers labeled numbers 1-7
- Plastic bags
- Waxed papers or waxed coated cardboard
- Wrapping or tissue paper
- Disposable diapers, tissues, paper towels
- Hard cover books, paperbacks, catalogs
- Anything that contained automotive products
- Any paper with food, fertilizer, etc.
- Windows, light bulbs, mirrors, ceramics, drinking glasses, crystal, etc.
Residents will need to compost bin and to line it with a yard waste bag, available for $1.65 at a variety of stores in North Liberty. Place the bin at your curb on collection day. To sign up, contact City Hall at (319) 626-5700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compostable items include all food waste, such as:
- Fruit and vegetables
- Meat (raw or cooked, including bones) and seafood (raw or cooked, including shells)
- Grains, bread and baked goods
- Dairy, eggs, coffee grounds and filters
- Mixed plate scrapings
- Wood produce crates
- Floral waste
- Leftovers past the point of re-serving
- Spoiled foods
- Paper that has been in contact with food such as:
- Parchment bakery tray liners
- Pizza boxes
- Uncoated paper plates
Items that are not accepted:
- Any trash or other contaminants
- Plastic, metal, glass
- Foil- or plastic-coated paper
- Plastic packaging
- Plastic straw wrappers, stir sticks
- Waxed paper or waxed cardboard (most often it’s actually plastic-coated)
- Chemically treated or painted wood
Bags, imprinted with “Johnson County Refuse,” are $1.65 each and may be filled to 39 gallons/40 pounds. Stickers will be phased out at the end of October. Brush and small limbs: two bundles picked up free of charge each Wednesday. Must be cut approximately four feet long and tied in bundles weighing 40 pounds or less.
The Johnson County Refuse bags are available at City Hall (3 Quail Creek Circle), True Value (55 S Dubuque Street), LD Express (900 W Penn Street) and Fareway (615 Westwood Drive).
Disposal of Other Items
You can get rid of larger items, like appliances, tires and furniture, curbside if you arrange for pickup ahead of time by calling Steve at 319-665-4498.
The City of North Liberty also hosts a Citywide or Spring Cleanup Day once per year, when residents can bring large items to the public works facility free of charge. This event is the last Saturday morning in April.