Latest Alerts:
Indoor pool closed

Indoor pool closed

Our indoor pool is, unfortunately closed until further notice. Last night, a motor failed and will need to be replaced. We hope to have a timeline for reopening later in the week of May 13.

City Hall Reopened at 360 N Main St.

City Hall Reopened at 360 N Main St.

City Hall has moved from its previous, leased offices into the new, permanent building at 360 N. Main St. at 7 a.m.

The public can accesses the same services at the new location during the same business hours: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Departments located at the building include Administration, Billing and Finance, Building Inspection, Planning, Community Relations and Human Resources.

A ribbon cutting and open house is planned for Tuesday, May 14, from 4:30 to 6 p.m.

Subscribe to Alerts

Pets & Animal Control

North Liberty welcomes cats and dogs of all breeds. We even welcome urban chickens. Learn about pet owner responsibilities, how to keep our community clean, and your pets safe.

Pet Owner Responsibilities

Owners are responsible for licensing and vaccinating their dog and cats, preventing their pets from roaming freely or causing a nuisance. Owners are, of course, responsible for removing pet feces on public and private property, too. Our animal control ordinance is available in North Liberty Code Chapter 55 Animal Control.

Lost Pets

All domestic animals should be licensed with the city. If a pet is located and has a city pet license tag on the collar, then every reasonable effort is made to return the animal back to the registered owner as soon as possible.

Lost a pet??! 10 actions you can take NOW:

  1. Fill out the City’s Lost Pet form. Responses are distributed to Animal Control staff. If you have trouble with the form, contact City Hall at (319) 626-5700 or [email protected]. Leave a message with your name and phone number if after hours.
  2. Call the Joint Emergency Communications Center (JECC) non-emergency line (319) 356-6800 (24/7), so the appropriate responder can be dispatched.
  3. Visit the Cedar Valley Humane Society Lost & Found webpage for their Lost Pet form. If you have trouble with the form, contact them at (319) 362‐6288 or [email protected].
  4. Search the Iowa City Animal Care & Adoption Center Found Dogs or Found Cats page and fill out their Lost Pet form.
  5. Search the Petco LoveLost page.
  6. Notify the company that you used to enroll your microchip. Links to the most common for North Liberty residents:  24PetWatch/Found Animals, 911PetChip, AKC Reunite, AVID, Buddy ID/MC Regis Ctr, Fi Nano, HomeAgain, PetKey, and PetLink.
  7. Notify your veterinarian.
  8. Consider posting information about your lost pet on social media, like Next Door and Facebook. The post should include your city & closest cross streets, photo, and how to best contact you.
  9. Create a flyer using this form, then print and post in public locations near your home (make sure you ask permission before hanging a flyer).
  10. Place a bowl of your pet’s favorite food outside your home. For cats, also place the litter box outside.

If your pet is found but does not have a pet license, you will need to apply for one prior to retrieval.

Stray Pets & Animals

Find a Cat? How to decide what to do.

Find a Kitten? How to decide what to do.  How old is this kitten?

If you find and capture a stray pet, then please contact the JECC non-emergency line at (319) 356-6800 (24/7), so the appropriate responder can be dispatched. Stray pets are briefly held in North Liberty before being taken to the Cedar Valley Humane Society.

City staff will not assist in a capture. If you witness a pet at-large in the community but have not captured it, you can send a description, location of sighting, and photo of the animal to [email protected].

Pet Licensing

North Liberty requires dogs and cats to be licensed annually. Fee information and license form are available on our Pet Licensing page. Our pet licensing ordinance is available in North Liberty Code Chapter 56 Cat and Dog Licenses.

Red Fern Dog Park Annual Passes

To use the Dog Park at 980 North Liberty Road, North Liberty, Iowa 52317, you must purchase an annual pass for each dog. Fee information and pass application can be found at our Dog Park Pass page.

Urban Chickens

North Liberty allows for urban chickens to be kept on residential property after the completion of education and under certain conditions. Fee information and license form are available on our Permits page. Our urban chicken ordinance is available in North Liberty Code Chapter 55.23 Livestock.

Community Cats

North Liberty allows for free-roaming cats cared for by residents in their immediate area, or “community cats,” through a trap/neuter/return (TNR) program. This policy stabilizes the community cat populations by stopping the breeding cycle and disruptive mating behaviors and saves public money by reducing shelter intake, shelter euthanasia and calls of concern to animal control. Our community cats ordinance is available in North Liberty Code Chapter 55.29 Community Cats.

Fill out this form to register a neighborhood cat as a community cat, so staff knows:

  1. which cats are free-roaming and cared for, so animal control does not pick them up… or if they do find a cat, they know where to return it;
  2. who to contact if a community cat is found ill; and
  3. who can be responsible for the observation of the cat in the event of a rabies outbreak.

This community cat registration is free and is not the same as a pet license. Community cats will not be numbered or receive a tag.

Community cats in need of sterilization should be caught in a live humane trap, available through local retail stores, covered with a sheet and brought to a veterinarian. The Iowa Humane Alliance Regional Spay/Neuter Clinic is a low-cost option. City staff will not assist in a capture or trapping. If you need help with a trap, contact the Johnson County Humane Society at (319) 383-0494 or [email protected]. Want to know more about how to trap? Watch this video from an October 2022 TNR Workshop here in North Liberty.

Animal Bites

If someone has been bit by a domestic or wild animal, then call non-emergency dispatch at (319) 356-6800 (24/7), so the appropriate responder can be dispatched. North Liberty Animal Control staff does not respond to these incidents.

An attending health care provider or responding law enforcement officer will be responsible for animal bite reporting by filling out and submitting the Johnson County Animal Bite Report Form.

The information on the form will be used to notify 1) Johnson County Public Health Disease Prevention staff; and 2) if the animal is a pet, the jurisdiction where the animal’s owner resides. These entities will follow up with the victim and animal owner to initiate an investigation, notify the animal’s veterinarian, assess for risk of rabies transmission (recommending rabies prophylaxis if needed), and enforce Iowa Code Chapter 351 confinement requirements.

Visit North Liberty Code Chapter 57 Dangerous Animals for more information about due process for North Liberty animal owners.

Wild Animals

Law enforcement will respond if dispatch considers a wild animal to be an immediate hazard to the public. Call the JECC non-emergency line at (319) 356-6800 (24/7) to report a potential hazard while occurring.

For all other wild animal requests, you should contact a private pest control company. The contacts below are not endorsed by, sponsored by, or associated with the City of North Liberty, but are listed as local examples for private use. The City will not do any scheduling or referrals. The City will not cover the costs of any portion of these services.

INJURED RAPTOR: Raptor Advocacy Rehabilitation and Education (RARE) Group (319) 248-9770 or [email protected]

EXOTIC ANIMALS: Animals All Around Inc (319) 848-3238



Lost a pet? Click here for 10 Actions you can take NOW.

City of North Liberty Pet Licenses & Red Fern Dog Park Passes are administered and managed by staff at North Liberty City Hall (WE MOVED! 360 N Main St, North Liberty, IA 52317). Questions? Stop by in person or contact staff at [email protected] or (319) 626-5700. Office hours are 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday, except holidays.

Pet Licensing & Dog Park Passes
Red Fern Dog Park

Google Translate