The Department of Building Inspection is the permit issuing authority for the City of North Liberty. This department is responsible for ensuring the building permits issued meet the requirements of the City of North Liberty’s building and zoning codes. The department processes permit applications, reviews the plans for compliance with the codes and performs field inspections of the work allowed within the permit. In times of disaster we perform assessment of damage to structures. The department also is responsible for the enforcement of the City of North Liberty Construction Site Runoff Regulations.
In order to maintain the highest standard of public safety and to protect the property rights of the citizens of North Liberty, the Building Safety Department will ensure the building requirements of the City of North Liberty are fully met. The Department will provide the information and assistance that meets our customer’s needs and guides them through the permitting process. Our Staff will provide professional, consistent and friendly service. We intend to work in partnership with Designers, Developers, Contractors and Owners to foster an environment that understands the needs of our customers and works for full compliance of the governing codes. To help us improve our services your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The City’s Building Safety Department strives to:
- Educate the public about code requirements.
- Streamline processes.
- Be solution oriented.
- Prioritize the intent of the code when interpreting code language.
- Be consistent in interpreting codes, polices and forms.
- Be well trained and educated.
- Treat everyone fairly and consistently.
- Be a great resource to the community.
Standards and Codes
Our current Zoning Ordinance is available in the online Code of Ordinances
- Chapter 165: Zoning Code – Administrative
- Chapter 166: Zoning Code – Organization and Enforcement
- Chapter 167: Zoning Code – Definitions
- Chapter 168: Zoning Code – Zoning District Regulations
- Chapter 169: Zoning Code – Development Regulations
- Chapter 170: Zoning Code – Special Use Regulations
- Chapter 171: Zoning Code – Nonconforming, Conditional, and Temporary Uses
- Chapter 172: Zoning Code – Communication Towers and Antennas
- Chapter 173: Zoning Code – Sign Regulations
Our Subdivision Ordinance is available here: Chapter 180: Subdivision Ordinance
The following codes have been adopted by the City of North Liberty:
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2015 International Existing Building Code
- State of Iowa Electrical Code (2017 NEC)
- State of Iowa Energy Code (2012 IECC)
Copies of the code are available at the office of the Department of Building Inspection (1 Quail Creek Circle), the North Liberty Community Library (520 W. Cherry Street) and for purchase online from the International Code Council.
Additional Standards and Information
North Liberty uses the Iowa Statewide Urban Design and Specifications with this supplement to the SUDAS (updated August 2016). Accepted product lists are available for Accepted-Products-for-Water-Distribution-Materials and Accepted-Products-for-Sanitary-Distribution-Materials.
Storm Water Management
The City of North Liberty encourages the use of storm water best management practices, including the use of rain gardens, pervious pavement, bioretention. Learn more about these techniques, and available grants on the Stormwater Management page.