Residential Building Permit Submittal Information
The following information is required for new and modification to building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, building sewer and water service. Iowa Energy Code 661-303 requires the energy compliance documents be integrated into your plans. Fire Department Review may be required; refer to the North Liberty Fire Department website.
- The plot plan must be accurately drawn to an engineer scale displaying the following information on minimum paper size 8 ½”x11” and maximum paper size 11” x 17”.
- Applicant(s) name.
- Legal description.
- Site address.
- Current zoning classification.
- Zoning setback lines.
- Specify the lot area per dwelling unit
- An identifiable scale.
- North directional arrow.
- Property line dimensions and bearing directions.
- Official property iron pins.
- Existing structures including decks, porches, garages and sheds.
- Proposed structures or additions including decks, porches, sunrooms, garages and sheds.
- Dimensions of all buildings.
- Roof overhangs.
- Existing or proposed fences.
- Driveways, sidewalks, patios and retaining walls. (engineering required for retaining walls when the height exceeds 4-ft from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall)
- Distances between building walls and lot lines.
- Water service size and location.
- Building sewer size and location.
- The sump pump discharge line location. (minimum 3” diameter)
- Place two points on the side line lots where the front wall intersects the side lot lines. Indicate the distances from the front corner iron pins to the two points and from the two points to the building corners.
- Statement on the site plan that all property iron pins shall be visible and marked during the entire construction process.
- Public utilities abutting the property. (storm sewers, sanitary sewers & water mains)
- Location and dimensions of all public and private easements. (see property title and subdivision final plat)
- Flood zones.
- Minimum low opening elevations.
- Elevations of top of foundation walls, final grade at foundation walls, final grade at 10 feet from foundation walls, top of lowest floor elevation, top of curb, property corner elevations and storm sewer conveyance openings.
- Storm water surface flow arrows.
- Scaled floor plans with designated room uses, square footage of habitable space, square footage of unfinished/storage spaces, doors and windows.
- Indicate locations of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Foundation plan showing all footings, stem walls, basement walls, slabs, foundation damp proofing material, drainage system and slab vapor barrier. Sizes, locations and cross sections showing reinforcement of each. All bearing load number from engineered girders and beams shall be noted. If engineered foundation is used or required, stamped plans shall be submitted with the permit application for approval.
- Floor framing plans, which include size, type of material, spans, and bearing points of all joist, girders, beams and columns. Show method of all connections to the footings or foundation.
- Wall cross sections providing framing details showing interior wall finish, vapor barrier, insulation, wall bracing, sheathing, weather barrier, flashing and exterior wall coverings.
- Header sizes and materials of openings exceeding 4-feet in width.
- Roof framing details indicating roof system to be used, sheathing, underlayment, ice dam, covering.
- Stair details showing rise, run, guards and handrails.
- Decks and porches showing footing locations, depth and size, columns, floor and roof framing materials and connection methods throughout the entire structures.
- Location of all heating appliances and type of fuel to be used.
- Location of electrical service and panel boards.
- Show all insulation materials used to comply with energy code requirements.
- If mail order plans are used and changes are made, the plans will need to be modified prior to submittal for permit.
- Show all design standard requirements of Chapter 169 of the Zoning Code.