Transportation Assistance Program
For $1 per ride, qualified North Liberty residents can call a Yellow Cab of Iowa City taxi to pick up groceries, get to the bank, visit a doctor, connect to a bus or certain other essential quality-of-life trips scheduled Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. or Saturday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Residents can be eligible for this program because they don’t have access to vehicle, face financial difficulty or are permanently or temporarily disabled.Apply
To apply, or if you have a question about the application, eligibility, verifying documents, permissible drop-off locations, or process and the answer is not online or the program brochure, then contact Angela McConville at the City of North Liberty. Please leave a message with your name, a phone number to reach you and your question. Allow up to three business days for a response.
North Liberty City Hall, 3 Quail Creek Circle, North Liberty, IA 52317
If you have a question about vehicles and accessibility, then please call Yellow Cab of Iowa City at (319) 338-9777.
The service is available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and must originate from or arrive at one of the following locations:
- North Liberty Community Pantry
- North Liberty Community Center
- Grocery Stores (North Liberty Fareway, Coralville Aldi or Crosspark Road Hy-Vee only)
- Medical Offices located within North Liberty, Coralville, Iowa City or Tiffin, for verifiable appointments
- Pharmacies and Durable Medical Equipment Suppliers (must be located within North Liberty, Coralville, Iowa City or Tiffin)
- Banks and Credit Unions (must be located within North Liberty)
- Laundromats: must be located within North Liberty
- Government Offices, including North Liberty City Hall, North Liberty Police Department, North Liberty Fire Department, North Liberty Post Office, Social Security Administration (local office), Iowa Drivers License Station (local office), Johnson County Administration Building, Johnson County Court House, or Johnson County Health and Human Services Building only
- Bus Stops (CAMBUS Research Park stops, Coralville Bus Heartland stop or Coralville Bus Coral Ridge Mall stop only)
- Other Medical Transport Stops (intermediate connection to third party medical transports)
- Cardholder address as printed on front of card
Rides will be given to:
- Cardholder plus dependents (names must be listed on back of card)
- Cardholder plus one friend or family member
- Cardholder plus one personal care attendant and one friend or family member
Dependents not allowed to ride without cardholder, and all riders must have same origin and destination.
Call Yellow Cab of Iowa City at (319) 338-9777 no less than 30 minutes prior to requested ride. When selecting a time, keep in mind that Yellow Cab driver will not wait more than five minutes for passengers to arrive.
Tell the scheduling operator you would like to book a ride under the North Liberty Transportation Assistance Program, the total number of passengers, whether you require an accessible vehicle, and the intended eligible destination (i.e. name of medical office, pharmacy, etc).
At the start of each ride, the Yellow Cab driver will collect the $1 fare per ride and use your card to verify eligibility. Vehicles are not equipped with child seats. To ride, riders must provide a size-appropriate, unexpired child restraint system for any rider 6 years old and under; must be a rear facing child restraint system for any child less than one year old and weighing less than 20 pounds. Cardholders who do not have their card will be denied a ride.
To be eligible, the applicant must be a current resident of North Liberty and qualify under at least one of these categories:
- No access to vehicle: does not have a working vehicle registered under their name
- Financial difficulty: receives verifiable federal or state assistance, or income does not exceed 185% of the federal limit and 85% of the North Liberty median income
Household Size Annual Gross Income 1 $23,606 2 $31,894 3 $40,182 4 $48,470 5 $56,758 6 $65,046 More $68,362
- Disabled: defined by law as a physical or mental condition of a person which constitutes a substantial handicap
- Disabled temporarily: for example, broken leg preventing travel by personal vehicle
- Completed application form
- Proof of identity (one of the following):
- U.S. Driver’s License
- U.S. Non-Driver’s ID card
- U.S. or foreign Passport
- U.S. Permanent Resident card
- Johnson County Iowa Community ID
- Consular ID
- Proof of residency (one of the following):
- Utility bill (dated within last 30 days)
- Insurance bill (dated within last 30 days)
- Bank statement (dated within last 30 days)
- Employment pay stub (dated within last 30 days)
- Local property tax statement (dated for present year)
- Mortgage payment receipt (dated within last 30 days)
- Voter registration card (current)
- Jury summons or court order issued by a state or federal court (dated within last 30 days)
- Rental agreement (dated for present year)
- Mobile home lot payment receipt (dated within last 30 days)
- Vehicle registration (dated for present year)
- Proof of eligibility:
- Card issued to persons due to financial need, applicant must provide proof. Can be accomplished by providing proof of federal or state income-based program enrollment, such as Medicaid/Medicare, WIC or SNAP. Document establishing financial need must include a date, such as an assistance award letter or recent pay stub.
- Card issued to persons experiencing a disability, applicant must provide validation from doctor. For temporary disability, resolution date is needed.
- If applicant has dependent(s) under 18 years old:
- Birth certificate or other federal or state document demonstrating dependency connection to applicant.
- Weight appropriate, unexpired car seats for all children 6 years old and under (rear facing for any child under one year old and/or weighing less than 20 pounds) when child travels with NLTAP.
- Dependent cannot travel using NLTAP without cardholder present.