North Liberty Schedules Listening Posts on Racial Equity
North Liberty city leaders announced today that they will engage the community to discuss social justice and racial equity through a series of listening posts.
The listening post sessions will be held online and in person, at a variety of times, between July 29 through Aug. 9. Each listening post will be a public-comment format, with commenters able to attend the session as they are available. Face masks or face shields are required at in-person outdoor sessions.
The listening post sessions will be held:
- Wednesday, July 29, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. online (register via Zoom)
- Friday, July 31, 8 to 9 a.m. online (register via Zoom)
- Saturday, Aug. 1, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the North Liberty Community Pantry, 89 S Jones Blvd.
- Monday, Aug. 3, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. online (register via Zoom)
- Thursday, Aug. 6, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Ranshaw House, 55 W Penn St.
- Sunday, Aug. 9, at 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. online (register via Zoom)
Links to each Zoom meeting is available at northlibertyiowa.org/listeningposts. Attendees will be asked for their name and city of residence.
Through these listening posts, city leaders hope to hear diverse stories to further understand the experiences of residents, take comments and hear ideas to address barriers and inequities locally, and to gain insights into policies and practices that have disproportionate impact on marginalized people in our community.
At its July 28 meeting, the North Liberty City Council will receive a report on racial disparities in police contact, and discuss initial actions and next steps. The listening posts will be completed before the council’s regular meeting scheduled for Aug. 11, where the council is expected to further discuss an action plan. Written, signed public comments to the city council are always accepted by emailing [email protected] or City of North Liberty, PO Box 77, North Liberty IA 52317