All 319 Calls Will Require 10-digit Dialing Starting Oct. 24
Last year, the FCC adopted an order approving 988 as a quick and universal 3-digit abbreviated dialing code to reach the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline starting July 16, 2022 (customers must continue to dial 1 (800) 273-TALK to connect to the Lifeline until July 16, 2022. For 988 to work in the Iowa 319 and 515 area codes, 10-digit local dialing must first be implemented since both of these area codes have telephone number 988 prefixes.
Beginning on Oct. 24, to complete local calls, the new dialing procedure requires callers to dial the area code + telephone number. This means that all local calls in the entire 319 and 515 area codes that are currently dialed with 7 digits will need to be dialed using the area code + telephone number.
What will remain the same?
- Your telephone number, including current area code, will not change
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the dialing change
- What is a local call now will remain a local call regardless of the number of digits dialed
- You will continue to dial 1+ the area code + telephone number for all long-distance calls
- You will continue to dial a prefix when dialing from a multi-line telephone system (i.e., in a hotel, office building, ) as required
- You can still dial just 3 digits to reach 711 (relay services) and 911 (emergency services)
- If 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, or 811 are currently available in your community, continue to dial these codes with just 3 digits
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can still be reached by dialing 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) even after the 988 code is in effect