Marvel at Winter’s Beauty at Fire & Ice on Jan. 28
Illuminated ice sculptures and landscaping, fire performances, ice skating, fireworks and more, Fire & Ice presented by GreenState Credit Union will have it all — and perhaps charm you into loving winter.
Running from 4 to 8 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 28 in North Liberty’s Penn Meadows Park (355 E Penn St), Fire & Ice is free and packed with winter-themed fun. Bundle up to:
MARVEL at performances and displays
- Enjoy fire breathing, juggling and spinning performances every 20 minutes
- Admire nine ice sculptures (illuminated beginning at 5 p.m.)
- See GreenState Credit Union’s (grounded) hot air balloon
- Watch the 15-minute firework finale at 8 p.m.
ENGAGE in activities and snag giveaways
- Sway on LED swings
- Vote for your favorite ice sculpture
- Warm up around the giant bonfire
- Check out silent disco headphones from Neighborhood Ambassadors and dance throughout the park
- Play Plinko for prizes from McGrath Toyota of Iowa City
- Snag a new car ice scraper from GreenState Credit Union
- Complete a STEM activity with UI Health Care
- Try your luck at a carnival game hosted by MidWestOne Bank
- Take your picture with marquee letters
- Add a piece to a giant Lite-Brite
- Challenge your friends to a life-size, illuminated game of Connect 4
Unfortunately, the quick melt this week means the cancellation of some previously planned programming: the ground is too soft for horse carriage rides and the ice rink is not solid enough for skating.
FILL UP on free snacks and pizza for purchase
- Grab a bag of popcorn from South Slope Cooperative Communications (free)
- Roast marshmallows with Hills Bank (free)
- Warm up with a cup of hot chocolate from Veridian Credit Union (free)
- Pizza from Elara’s Wood-Fired Pizza (for purchase)
Parking is available in Penn Meadows Park’s north and south lots and along nearby residential streets.
All Fire & Ice programming is free. Visit beatthebitter.com to learn more and explore other Beat the Bitter scheduled events, like North Liberty Lights, the 5K-ish Glow Run, Snuggie Crawl, Scheels Ice Rink and more.
Beat the Bitter is made possible by the City of North Liberty, GreenState Credit Union, Scheels, McGrath Toyota of Iowa City, and the Community Foundation of Johnson County. Additional support is provided by Think Iowa City, Alliant Energy, Centro, Eastern Iowa Airport – CID, Hills Bank, MidWestOne Bank, South Slope Cooperative Communications, University of Iowa Health Care, A2Z Heating & Plumbing, Collins Community Credit Union, Urban Acres Real Estate, Veridian Credit Union, Sushiya, Archie’s Brake & Quick Lube, Adam Schechinger State Farm, Forever Green Landscaping, Field Day Brewing Company and Z102.9.
This event is part of North Liberty’s City Slate, a compilation of North Liberty’s largest and free city-produced events. More information at northlibertyiowa.org/cityslate.