Explore What North Liberty Parks Have to Offer at the Aug. 28 Playground Crawl
Fire up the carpool text thread and make group shirts because your college experience will finally pay off at this killer event set for Saturday, Aug. 28, in North Liberty: a playground crawl. Here’s all you need to know:
The five Ws
- Who: You! Free and no tickets needed.
- What: Spend the day with your household exploring the city’s playgrounds and enjoy special treats and activities at each stop as you make your way around town.
- Where: Six parks around town. See details below.
- When: Saturday, Aug. 28, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Why: To discover new areas of North Liberty — and burn some energy!
Listed in no particular order. Please hop around to the parks between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. as you wish. In addition to exploring the play structures at each park, kids will be offered a complimentary snack (all allergy conscious) and drink at each location and are invited to participate in an activity led by the organizations noted below.
- Centennial Park // Activity hosted by the Eastern Iowa Airport – CID
Create a plane with only cardboard, tape, string and markers and bring it to Centennial Park for your chance to win a $250 gift card from the Eastern Iowa Airport – CID! Details below.
- Penn Meadows Park // Activity hosted by the North Liberty Fire Department
Visit with a members of the fire department and see a fire truck! (dependent on call volume)
- Deerfield Park // Activity hosted by the Iowa Children’s Museum
Play with the ICM’s larger than life Imagination Playground blue blocks, wooden ramps, pathways and assorted loose parts for a hands-on building experience.
- Beaver Kreek Park // Activity hosted by the Girl Scouts of E IA and W IL
Learn about the power of balance and gravity! In this fun, STEM activity, kids will place two pennies in various locations on a paper robot until they’ve discovered how to make the robot balance.
- Creekside Commons Park // Activity hosted by the North Liberty Library
Make a bracelet or necklace with color-changing beads to learn about ultraviolet light!
- Quail Ridge Park // Activity hosted by the North Liberty Police Department
Spray a NLPD car with silly string and receive a fingerprint kit.
Please park on the paved lots at parks, along nearby residential streets, or consider skipping the car and bike through the Playground Crawl.
- Lot parking available at Centennial, Penn Meadows and Quail Ridge parks.
- Residential street parking available at Creekside Commons, Beaver Kreek and Deerfield parks.
Just Plane Fun
Create a plane with only cardboard, tape, string and markers and bring it to Centennial Park between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 28 for your chance to win a $250 gift card from the Eastern Iowa Airport – CID!
Each plane’s creator will be entered into a drawing for the airfare voucher and gift card. Limit of two entries per household. Winner will be randomly drawn and notified on the afternoon of Aug. 28. This is not a contest for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place, so all creative skill levels are encouraged to join the fun. The Eastern Iowa Airport – CID will take photos of all entries to share on the airport’s Facebook page.
Participants are encouraged to create their cardboard plane prior to the Playground Crawl, but limited supplies will also be provided at Centennial Park for anyone who doesn’t make one in advance but wishes to participate.
What to bring
- Sunscreen, water bottles and anything else your party might need playing outside. Complimentary snacks and drinks will be provided at each location as supplies last.
- Your dog, if you’d like. They are welcome as long as they are on a leash and you clean up after them.
- Permanent or portable toilets will be available at each park.
Stay in the loop
- This event is weather dependent. Any cancellations or delays will be posted in the Facebook event.
- Share your photos with us by tagging the City of North Liberty on Facebook or Instagram.
- Stay connected with the City by subscribing to the North Liberty Bulletin or signing up for news alerts.
COVID event mitigations
While we are looking forward to a fun summer, everyone is easing out of the pandemic at their own pace. Events on the Summer Slate have adopted the City of North Liberty’s “masked until you’re vaxxed” policy for staff and attendees.
In line with public health guidance, those fully vaccinated against COVID-19 are no longer expected to wear a mask when attending Summer Slate events. Organizers ask those who have yet to be fully vaccinated to still wear a mask. COVID-19 vaccines are free and currently available to anyone 12 years or older at local pharmacies and hospitals. As always, attendees should stay home if anyone in the household is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.
We’re committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for this event for individuals with disabilities.
Also, free, but limited, transportation assistance between parks is available. Riders must provide any necessary car seats and must have at least one person in their party who 16 years or older.
For accommodations or transportation assistance, please reach out to [email protected] or call (319) 626-5726 by Monday, Aug. 23.
Who to thank
This free event is made possible by Veridian Credit Union, South Slope, Shive-Hattery, Hills Bank, GreenState Credit Union, Eastern Iowa Airport – CID and the City of North Liberty.
This event is just one of over 35 events and programs on North Liberty’s Summer Slate. A partnership between city departments and supported by Veridian Credit Union, South Slope, Shive-Hattery, Hills Bank, GreenState Credit Union, and Eastern Iowa Airport – CID, the Summer Slate is designed to provide free events that can easily adjust to the changing public health landscape for our community. Explore the schedule at northlibertyiowa.org/SummerSlate.
Still have questions?
Contact [email protected] or call (319) 626-5726.