Let Love Fly June 4 in Centennial Park
On Saturday, June 4, mega kites will soar above North Liberty’s Centennial Park. Come for awe-inspiring views, and information, activities and giveaways from LGBTQ community groups and sponsors for a community celebration of love. Here’s all you need to know.
The five Ws
- Who: You! This is a free, all ages event.
- What: Mega kites soar above Centennial Park for a community celebration of love.
- Where: Centennial Park, 1565 St Andrews Drive
- When: Saturday, June 4, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Why: Love is love!
Free programming to look forward to
- Create a button with your preferred pronouns with the North Liberty Library, and register for their Summer Reading Program
- Get colorful with a free airbrush tattoo
- Sign a community banner to pledge your support and commitment to helping make sure everyone feels welcome in North Liberty
- Dance to your own tune with a silent disco hosted by South Slope. 100 headphones will be available for checkout. Select between three stations to jam out with your friends and family
- Collect swag and giveaways from Adam Schechinger State Farm
- Play Plinko with MidWestOne Bank for prizes
- Receive a temporary tattoo from GEICO Philanthropic Foundation
- Dig for coins in Hills Bank’s corn box and meet their mascot, Penny Bear
- Create a craft with the North Liberty Community Pantry
- Learn how to get involved with North Liberty’s Anti-Racism & Social Justice group of residents
- Capture FOMO-inducing photos among the 50-to-200-foot-long giant kites and other event photo ops
- Play a game of disc golf around the park’s perimeter
- Learn from and connect with LGBTQ community groups
What to bring
- Your camera!
- Lawn chairs and blankets to relax on while enjoying the sights.
- You wallet to purchase lunch from Da Flava Unit and Marcos Grilled Cheese food trucks and a treat from Moo Moo’s Ice Cream.
- A picnic to enjoy with family and friends. A friendly reminder: alcohol is not allowed in city parks.
- Your own kite to fly. Kites will also be available for purchase.
- Your dog, if you’d like. They are welcome as long as they are on a leash and you clean up after them.
Food and drink
- Da Flava Unit, Marcos Grilled Cheese, and Moo Moo’s Ice Cream will be on site with food and treats for purchase.
- Picnics are welcome and encouraged. A friendly reminder: alcohol is not allowed in city parks.
How to get there and where to park
- Centennial Park is located between Kansas Avenue and Jones Boulevard at 1565 St Andrews Drive
- Please park on the park’s paved lots or along nearby residential streets.
- Skip the car and walk, bike or roller blade to the park!
You also might be wondering
- Yes, portable toilets will be available during this event.
- Yes, dogs are welcome as long as they are on a leash and you clean up after them.
- The use of tobacco, nicotine, vape and other electronic smoking devices are prohibited in North Liberty parks, trails and public recreation areas.
- Since this event is outside, there are no additional COVID mitigations.
Who to thank
This event is part of the City Slate. The yearlong schedule of events is made possible by Adam Schechinger State Farm, Centro, Inc, The Eastern Iowa Airport – CID, GEICO Philanthropic Foundation, Hills Bank, MidWestOne Bank, Shive-Hattery, South Slope Cooperative, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics and Veridian Credit Union.
Stay in the loop
Any cancellations or delays will be posted in the Facebook event.
Share your photos with us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
Stay connected with the City by subscribing to the North Liberty Bulletin or signing up for news alerts.
We’re committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation at our events for individuals with disabilities. For accommodations, please reach out to [email protected] or call (319) 626-5755.
More City Slate Fun
This event is part of the City Slate, a compilation of North Liberty’s largest and free city-produced events, with more than 40 events planned in 2022. Explore the schedule at northlibertyiowa.org/cityslate.